We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Future car build off competition discussion

Track Junkie

Future car build off competition discussion

Michael came up with this idea but we know that none of us are ready to take this on because we have financial commitments elsewhere.

Michael's idea - $2000 budget build
    - Car has to be from 1980s
    - Total for buying a donor car and modifications
    - Maintenance cost not included in budget.
    - Is safety cost included in budget? (Cage, seat, etc)

My revised plan idea:
    - Open to 1980's only build off or let in 1990's for more choice.
    - $5000 total build, including purchase of car, modifications, safety, tires and maintenance.
    - Run a spec size tire. Everyone buys the same tire.(a tire we agree on)
    - Every part has a fair value. You can't pull "free" parts off the shelf in your garage. If you have a part on the shelf, a value needs to be assigned to it.
    - Car has to have all body panels on the exterior.
    - Car has to have a dashboard.
    - Only front door glass can be missing.

Competition:
    - The competition would be held at a track day, most likely CMP.
    - Fastest time wins but it's not that simple..
    -- Each session you miss due to car being broken/etc adds 1 second to your fastest lap time. (Open to revisions)
    -- Car breaking down during a session adds .5 of a second to fastest lap. Breakdown is when you have to pit(to resolve an issue) or stop. Only exception is flat tire.
    -- Car has to be driven to and from track. Breakdown to or from track is a penalty. We would have to figure out what that penalty would be, most likely a time penalty added to fastest lap.
    Questions:
    - Do we get to sell parts off of our cars to help the budget?
    --- If we do, it can be a slippery slope if someone get a donor car and sells off the parts to get a better budget.
    --- One idea is that only way to add to the budget is parts can be sold off of the original car. No added budget from parted out donor.

- Do we want a minimal weight?
    - Do we want a standard tire width?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know we are far from doing this but I would like to have a set of rules set just so people can dream/plan. So far we have 4 people that are interested.
    Last edited by pawa_k2001; 10-14-2016 at 10:27.

Build thread enforcer

well, what ever the rules are, it's our integrity that keeps us to the rules... at the core, this is just for fun... and bragging rights... so yeah, hopefully no one ruins the fun by cheating or finding technical loop holes. hopefully we all keep in the spirit of the challenges

i'm also a fan of keeping things more "open" and seeing how it turns out... as you were saying last night, too many limitations and variety goes out the window...

Track Junkie

I will always use what I can to win. lol

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

But really, my brother and I talked about this over coffee today. Even though it's friends, this is a competition. Maybe I am just wired a certain way but I like rules and regulations. This is the reason we have so many rules at work, it just saves us from crossing a line that we didn't even now existed and pissing off a person.

I agree regarding limitations. We can have it more open with a higher overall budget. This would mean more different cars can be included but there would be a limit of total money invested. Having the maintenance and safety aspect outside of the budget is a slippery slope for me.

Also, changing a bushing is maintenance or upgrade? If that's maintenance then poly bushings are upgrades. If poly bushings take away from my budget, I will just go with all new OEM bushings just to keep my budget more open.

Build thread enforcer

Still a n00b

So, my 3 cents:

- The reason why I came up with the 2k budget is there's no way in hell I'll ever be able to do it unless it is super low budget. 5k will never happen for me.
    - The 80's is because the purpose isn't to pick from the excellent selection of prime 90s cars. Most of *the* car to have for [insert method of racing] are 90s cars.
    - Maintenance isn't included so everyone is able to get their car to good working order, meaning only stock equivalent parts that came on that car (no upgrades).
    - I'm cool with a spec tire. But we'd have to pick the spec tire after everyone got cars. Otherwise someone may get screwed and can't run the spec size. Also, wheel changes would need to be free for cars that had to change them to run the spec tire.
    - If you wanna run safety equipment it's free.
    - We should come up with appropriate limits for weight reduction. Such as, nothing structural/crash/safety removed, retains dash, carpet, door panels, and at least one passenger seat. Everything else is fair game.
    - I'm also cool with the goal being a time at a track. But if we do track, we should say pads and fluid don't count toward cost. That way we can ensure everyone has safe brakes.
    - I'd say you can sell unused stuff from the car to make back some budget money, but only for items removed from the actual competition car. If you get a parts car for oem stuff, they don't count anyway because it is stock parts (maintenance). But no budget credit for selling stuff from the parts car.

To be honest, we really should look at a sanctioned or well known rule set, pick a class, and not allow stuff outside that (as far as weight reduction and safety). For example: Most racing organizations only allow door beams to be removed if the roll cage has door bars.

We need to decide if we're cool with a "full track car" or if it needs to be a somewhat street car. I vote it must pass a safety inspection (not emissions) and be road legal. Most of us will have to tag and insure the car in order to drive it to the track, so it wouldn't be fair for someone with a trailer to get an advantage just for that reason.
    Last edited by H22A_CD5; 10-16-2016 at 00:01.
    Daily - 2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT / 255whp 222wtq
    AutoX - 2004 Honda S2000 / 229whp 161wtq

Track Junkie

I completely agree Michael with making this build-off affordable. I am all for lowering the $5k budget to $4k or even $3k total. My biggest issue with not have a overall max expense limit is that I don't know what I am getting into. Just like my current projects, I was expecting to spend a certain amount of money but I have long blown through that budget.

Is there a number we can all be comfortable with to make as a total budget? Including everything.

Build thread enforcer

+ Reply to Thread