We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building for DD & Mountain/back roads?

Building for DD & Mountain/back roads?

Okay the title may sound like an oxymoron but the question still stands. My car is my daily driver. I am looking for any recommendations that might help when I decide to do some spirited driving on back roads and mountain roads. I figured this would be the best place to ask (considering the mountains). My car currently has billet motor mounts so there is a lot of vibration in the cabin a long with cabin drone. I am planning on using some sound deadener to help fix both these problems; or at least help tone them down a little.

So what kind of recommendations am I looking for? Anything will help like poly bushings, adjust coilovers to certain stiffness or softness, sway bars, ect. Tires and wheel width recommendations are welcome as well!

Thanks!
    Hyundai it's the Rodney Dangerfield of the automotive world.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanMR2 View Post
    I'm too afraid I would masturbate furiously while watching it and feel bad. I hear that is typically what happens.

One thing about this small group is the variety of cars we have can make it tricky to make suggestions on specific things, probably more just suggestions and brands to check into. For exact figures (spring rates, product lines, etc) you might want to browser your car-specific forums...

but with that being said... let's discuss some general details!

Who makes poly bushings for your car? I recently installed SuperPros (and 2 powerflex) bushings and love the feeling. I'm also running stock sway bars with stance coilovers and nearly everything else upgraded for my suspension. (pillow ball bushings, toe links, trailing arms) Some would probably argue my 12 kg springs are too stiff for DD but I like them... I also did enjoy the 8/10 kg springs from a set of Megans I had on a previous FD.

As for tires, I'm a big fan of performance all seasons, running some continentals at the moment... I do DD my car and the mood to go out for a drive might strike me at any time... and it does rain around here!

For other considerations - creatures comforts - seats, radio/cd/mp3/etc player and speakers, A/C? how wide of a tire can you run? I found that a square setup tire wise works better and greatly decreased my understeer... oh and the other great question: What's your budget???

Track Junkie

This is only from my experiences on most European cars.

- Motor Mounts: Generally, I stay with stock or a step right above stock(soft polys) engine mounts. I despise the vibrations. Performance gains are minimal unless you have a time attack car.

- Suspension: A lot of people I know make a mistake of going with a very stiff coilover spring/damper setup. I consider this a mistake because our roads are far from being perfectly smooth. Suspension for DD and our mountains needs to be compliant and absorb the road imperfections. Spring rates are different for every car but go with a less aggressive setup. Since your car is front wheel drive, I would go with a thicker rear sway bar to help the car rotate. Front sway bar will depend, some cars don't even need to upgrade. As for suspension tuning, for front wheel driver, I would set the front at 1/2 stiff and rear at 3/4 stiff and adjust from there. Start with stiffer rear so you can feel out how much you want your car to rotate. Don't stiffen the front to much because you want the car to properly transfer weight in corners and absorb bumpers while putting down power.

- Tires: Like Tray said, there are a lot of good performance all seasons. My favorite is the Continental DWS06 and I run them on my DD VW GTI. They stand for Dry Wet Snow. The grip on dry and wet is good, snow is there just in case. My personal favorite summer tire is Michelin Pilot Super Sport. There may be stickier tires than it but it wins when you combine all categories. PSS is sticky, quiet and soft. The ride is second to none, other tires in it's class get very noise when they start wearing.

- Alignment: If you want decent tire wear while enjoying the back roads, I usually go with 2 degrees of camber and 0 toe up front. Rear I leave with factory specs. With this camber, the car should respond better on the mountain roads while not destroying your tires to fast. Rotate your wheels for longer life.

Build thread enforcer

Hey guys sorry I didn't specify, yes I am looking for just general information. Which both of you helped a lot. No one and I mean no one on the tiburon forum has any information concerning this. Everyone builds theirs for drag strip, street racing, and very very few do for auto x. The auto x guys have all left from what I have seen.

I took the car up 421 the snake today. I am definitely going to have to raise the car. It bottoms out when I take turns to hard and it rubs a wiring harness I thought I had mounted up high enough.

I used to have 17x.9.75 wheels with 235/40 tires. It rubbed a lot but I really liked the grip and handling it had with that set up. I am really considering doing my own fender flares to add some more with while not running into clearance issues.
    Hyundai it's the Rodney Dangerfield of the automotive world.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanMR2 View Post
    I'm too afraid I would masturbate furiously while watching it and feel bad. I hear that is typically what happens.

+ Reply to Thread