We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the v8... now an on-going blog...

the v8... now an on-going blog...

so, not exactly a build thread... just more a place for me to comment on what is going on with the car... vent frustrations, etc...

Anyway a little while back I was realizing I've not actually gotten to enjoy my car in the past 2 yrs. The times it was on the road, something wasn't working correctly!

About 2 yrs ago I decided, since I had a friend who owned a transmission shop, to go ahead and replace some synchros in my trans... the downfall began! I pulled out the trans, we replaced synchros, re-installed... once it was running, it went straight to body shop... few months later, i get it back and within 500 miles, 1st gear needle bearings let go... this time I let the shop itself just do all the work...

several new parts and weeks later after waiting, car was back on the road.. only to get stuck in R within 20 miles!!! Back to the shop... they cover the cost of things now, evidently there was a bushing missing...

Got the car back again and within the first few drives, it was getting stuck in 2nd gear (happened on Bryan Cooper's MegaMeet!!!) Still drove it for a bit and finally one night it got stuck in 1st and when I finally got it back to the house, I tore into it AGAIN! this time talked to a v8 swap friend in SC about re-building again.

He rebuilt it, got it back to me, but my release bearing had gotten misplaced along the way... but it was found! and now the trans is back in the car! Now once the rain stops, I can re-install the exhaust and trans cross member. After that will be test fitting the driveshaft and seeing if it needs to be shortened when I get the rear flanged swapped (see info below as to why...)

So... in the midst of the trans issues, I also decided it was time to replace a few other bits... so while the trans was out, I replaced suspension bushing with SuperPro Polyurethane bushings, new rear swap bar links, and swapped to Ford 8.8 diff w/ 4.10 gear and new axles (the reason for new flange on the drive shaft)

Also replaced my dakota digital boxes for tach and speedo... this time confirming the wiring for the speedo and hope to get that working too!

Other little tasks to be completed soon:
    • Bleed brakes
    • Bleed Clutch
    • Fill trans and diff with fluid
    • Make new set of plug wires
    Attached Images

Track Junkie

Can't wait to finally see this car again. Last time I saw it was when we did Hwy 63 drive to Hot Springs, I was on my old GTI.

Build thread enforcer

Nice FD! Very clean.
    Hyundai it's the Rodney Dangerfield of the automotive world.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanMR2 View Post
    I'm too afraid I would masturbate furiously while watching it and feel bad. I hear that is typically what happens.

so today i replaced a few missing bell housing bolts and temp installed the trans cross member to test fit the driveshaft before I get the flange swapped over for the 8.8 diff. Looks like I may need to shorten it just about an inch to give a little more play on the slip yoke into the trans, though I don't expect the diff to move too much and need it, it's just peace of mind.

I also installed the shifter since once it's up in the tunnel the bolts are a pain to get reach, next will be filling with fluids (trans and diff) and bleeding brakes and clutch. Tomorrow I'll stop by Asheville Powertrain to see about the driveshaft work.

things are looking good for me to have it at the next cars and coffee... unless I ride with my dad

Track Junkie

Hoping you make it to Cars & Coffee. I will try bring the M3 out.

Build thread enforcer

yeah, as i was posted I was thinking I need to double check my online photo storage solution... i'll get around to doing something soon =P hahaha... have to find my login info to the server again...

and I dropped off the driveshaft today and was told that it should be done this afternoon for pick up... if I feel like braving the chill, i'll finish up under the car tomorrow, if not, then i'll wait for the warmer temps expected later this week. Car will be ready for a shake down pending alignment.

Virtually done under the car. Exhaust is in, trans and diff filled with fluid. Now just a little clean up and small plastic covers and clips for fuel lines and bleeding. Should be ready for alignment and inspection on Thursday.

Track Junkie

Nice. Pictures or it didn't happen.

Build thread enforcer

yeah, i knew you would complain about no pics yet!! hahaha.... i'll snap some tomorrow... i tend to work during the evening after the sun's gone down..

on a side note, I realize now i probably shouldn't have had my driveshaft shortened an inch... oh well, a little more of the yoke is showing than I prefer but i'll do a road test and see if i need to find the shaft stretcher...

car is running again... i originally had my dakota digital box for my tach wired wrong and was preventing the signal getting to the coils... but now that it's fixed, car fires off... now to get alignment and see how she does... so i'll be out this weekend putting some miles on her

Track Junkie

Nice. Make sure you take a camera.

Build thread enforcer

i snapped a pic of when i drove the car... the speedo works! just need to calibrate it when i get the car back from alignment... and YES I WILL TAKE PICS!!!

and i need to look up the writeups for installing LEDs for reverse lights since I got those working finally

+ Reply to Thread