We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: S2000 Chronicles

Still a n00b

S2000 Chronicles

I'm sure many of you have seen me around. I frequent Cars and Coffee and poke my head out at Sonic once in a blue moon. After encouragement from pawa_k2001 I've created an account to post up my car. I'm not really in the middle of a "build" so-to-speak so instead I'll chronicle the car since I purchased it back in 2009. Many things have happened with the car since then and it's come a long way.

I purchased the car from a Private Owner (second) in Phoenix AZ. It came with the wheels (staggered), springs, a "custom" exhaust, KPro, and a second gear grind. The owner worked for a turbo shop out in Phoenix that specialized in SRT-4s and Supras. They used this car to mock up a turbo manifold and intercooler piping set they were developing. He said the car never saw boost, but he eventually planned to turbo it, hence the KPro. It also came with most of the stock parts and some ID1000 injectors I promptly sold.

Within the first week of owning the car, I cut holes in the hood, installed a K&N intake, and the mishimoto fan/radiator combo that came uninstalled with the car. Talk about nervous...

The hood vents definitely affect the front aero of the car, here you can see where bugs were being pushed over the car instead of impacting the windshield on the passenger side. Letting lots of heat out!

Wrapped the stock header.

Regreased the shifter to get rid of the notchy feel.

Daily - 2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT / 255whp 222wtq
    AutoX - 2004 Honda S2000 / 229whp 161wtq

Still a n00b

Bought four rear stock wheels with the intent of using these as daily wheels, non-staggered. Getting them home was interesting.

When I finally picked up some good tires and a pair of wheels identical to the rear PF-01s I had some fairly significant clearance issues. S2000s have very high offsets as opposed to other Hondas. So getting "standard" +40mm offsets are quite difficult to clear without stretching tires under stock fenders.

Also ended up with some stuff in a trade I ended up not liking.

After about a year of heavy autocross I went in for a retune (the original tune was with the car completely stock). The tuner noticed the exhaust note was odd, and decided to do a compression test. Found #4 cyl was about 35psi low. One of the exhaust valves was starting to burn. Pulled the head for a full rebuild. Decided to go ahead and do a trans rebuild and PuddyMod stage 2 rear end rebuild. Took it to a local machine shop, ended up getting screwed. It ticked like a diesel when I fired it up. Was super upset.

I put the car back together and drove it for about a thousand miles. Took out a loan and went back in with a low mileage, salvaged car motor. Made the mistake of not taking off my crank pulley with the engine in the car. Was terrible trying to get it off. Got all the sensors switched over to the new motor for the KPro. Found bad motor mounts while I was in there, got some hardrace replacements. Also did Hondata intake heatshield gasket, stainless brake lines, and axle spacers.

Still a n00b

Once the new engine, rebuilt trans, and rear end were in the car ran perfectly. Until about 600 miles later when the stock differential (I did the rebuild but kept the stock diff) started letting go. Set the rear end back to puddymod, with a Carbonetics Carbon Clutch diff and bought some big boy suspension.

Also traded for a super ridiculous autocross spoiler. Still haven't used this thing. I'm afraid it'll change my setup too drastically. Picked up another set of wheels from my buddy to use with the R Compounds I snagged for autocross. Finally got the car 100% back on the road... until I broke an axle the first time I launched it with the RComps.

Took the big step and gutted out the soft top to install the Rockstar Garage roll bar and bulkhead replacement bar, while I was up there to pick up his OEM hard top. Picked up my Recaro from Evasive Motorsports while I was up there. They were the guys that sold me most of the major parts that made the car what it is today. They have been excellent to work with. Also, I can't say enough good things about Justin from Rockstar Garage. He was awesome all the way and even let me crash at his house that night.

Still a n00b

Fresh Rubber and a good pic of the bar installed with the seat.

I loved this diner while I was in San Diego. I went there everytime I had the chance. The doors on this place have never closed since the 60s.

Moved to back to NC and stored the car for the winter. First thing that spring took a trip back home to eastern NC with the S2000 to see friends. Grenaded the transmission while I was there and had to leave the car there all summer while I came back and saved for a new transmission. Found a low mileage one in Knoxville and got a deal on it and a chase race hitch. Got to do a photoshoot with my best friend and his autocross S2000 while I was back in the fall.

Finally got the car back home in the fall and installed the hitch. Had to lower my trailer so it would ride okay with the S2000 being as low as it is.

Last edited by H22A_CD5; 12-27-2015 at 15:29.

Still a n00b

Finally got some autocrossing in on the new setup. Night events at the ag center just don't do it for me. Takes too much to get heat in the tires. Ended up snapping an axle again at a night event earlier this year. Luckily a guy there was nice enough to tow me home.

Low car drive through problems.

A 151 drive with pawa_k2001

Cars and Coffee

Still a n00b

Finally succumbed to the mountain. Tires were way too bald. Parks Collision did it up with all OEM parts and minimal filler, full panel replacements all around. Looks like it never happened.

Finally up to now. Got some replacement tires and waiting for the coilover rebuild to come back from Eibach this upcoming week to be able to put the car back on the road after the accident. Hopefully this warm weather holds out a little longer so I can drive it before putting it away for the winter again.

Track Junkie

Amazing journal. Not to lie, I am jealous of people that keep their cars around for a long time. Glad to see it back on the road but now I will have to be careful with my parts S2000 not to blow transmissions and snap axles.

Build thread enforcer

Still a n00b

I've learned the transmissions in these cars can hold power well, but they are "finesse" transmissions. Meaning, make sure they are in gear good before getting on it.

wna go fast and turn left Kevin A. Parra's Avatar

Super cool thread what part of az are you from? I lived in Avondale.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk
    BBBBBBBBBBWWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still a n00b

I'm originally from Eastern NC. The Marine Corps put me in Yuma for 5 years, you couldn't pay me to go back...

Still a n00b

So I went through a couple more issues before the car was really good. One of the seat rails was slightly bent, and during the alignment we found a bent front lower control arm.

I didn't realize it at the time, but my rear alignment was way out of spec. The suspension settled off the rack (I was in the car and could see it was correct on the rack), ended up with a total of 1.5 degrees toe in (.75 each side). It was so bad I could barely keep the car pointed straight when it was damp or on bumps. Killed about 4/32nds off a pair of those tires I just got. :-/

Once the alignment was redone the car was running quite good. Went on a drive with Pawa_k2001 and company, went to an autocross codriving, but my buddy twisted my arm to take him around once in my car. With cold street tires (these tires actually like heat) I still set the sixth fastest raw time not really beating on it; didn't even check pressures. This car has always been excellent on low speed autocross with the current setup and when I'm on my R-Comps. I was super surprised to do that well on worn out street tires. :-) Turns out I have a slow leak in the front right, which you can see here from the additional sidewall flex. Still haven't fixed that.

Surprisingly enough, after living here for almost four years, July 4th weekend of this year is the first time I've ever taken the S2000 to the Dragon. It's always been broken, didn't have tires, or some other thing comes up that prevents me from taking it; despite having been several times in other cars. The S2000 behind me is owned by a long time friend from back home who brought his AP1 up.

Last edited by H22A_CD5; 10-16-2016 at 00:59.

Still a n00b

The rear end of my car has always been loud since my build. Gear whine is crazy loud, but about 5k miles ago it started to have a grinding noise, which I assumed was a bearing going bad. On the way home from the dragon, it turned from a sound to a full on vibration. Pulled the rear a couple weeks later. The fluid has always been full of metal shavings. I assumed this was because of the clutch diff, turns out it was an indication of other issues.

Took a video to pass along to my rear end builder.
    https://youtu.be/2nbP5n9mMqM

Fluid full of metal

Pumpkin out of the car and ready for the ride to Orlando. I was going for a conference anyway, so I dropped it off to him since he lived close to there.

In the parking lot, he did some diagnosing and determined it was the gear set that was worn out, not a bearing. He said the fluid had been overheated (killing the fluid) and that wore out the gear set. All this was determined by spinning the input and output shafts, with the pumpkin fully assembled, in a burger king parking lot. But there's a reason I go to him, because that's exactly what it was.

Fluid cooked onto the diff walls.

This was the big disappointment. Replacing the gear set, bearings, and seals wouldn't have been terrible. But, the cooked fluid also caused the clutches in my diff to delaminate. Unfortunately, this is a carbonetics (ATS in Japan) diff. Carbonetics is the US arm of ATS, and they closed a couple years ago. So he had to special order the $900 clutch pack from Japan, and expects a 3-5 week lead time before they arrive (at time of writing we're at six weeks of waiting for them).

Also some stress fractures on the pinion teeth. You can't really tell how worn the pinion gear is in this picture. The picture he sent of the ring gear was pretty fuzzy, but he said the teeth on the ring gear were worn down razor sharp from friction wear. He said he estimated there was probably 10-15 thousandths of gear lash in the rear end at disassembly (about 3x the max factory spec).

I decided to opt-up for the high capacity/cooling diff cover he makes. Hopefully this will prevent future issues of overheating fluid. It's super nice. You can see a side by side comparison here, with the additional fluid capacity and extended cooling fins. This should take care of any fluid degradation issues.

That brings this thread up to current. Still waiting on news for the diff build. Hopefully it's here in time for Togue Fest. :-/
    Last edited by H22A_CD5; 10-16-2016 at 01:15.

+ Reply to Thread