We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1997 BMW M3 Journal

... and the progress continues.

Today on the agenda, replace the dash and install the door panels.

It really makes things easier when you are not in a hurry to put everything together in one day. My goal for today was to pull the old dash out and replace it with the black one so I can have the car running. To my surprise, it was easier than expected. It only took me 1 hour to swap out the dashes. Granted, I had half of it already disassembled.

Before:

After:

Swapped out the locks so I can have a functioning glove box lock:

With some time to spare, I went ahead and installed the black door panels:

Next on the list is to install the carpet. I washed it a few days ago and it is now drying...

The carpet had enough time to dry and it was time to install it. The old one out and the new one in. Even had enough time to install the center console and both front seats. I got an idea from what I did to the wife's BMW 330i. I want to replace the driver side seat cushion with the passenger one from the old seats. This will be left to be done on one cold winter day when I can work inside.

A little bit more progress today...

Installed the rear seats, replaced the speakers with Harman Kardon units and installed both the glove box and knee panel.

Today I buttoned up the rest of the interior. Installed the cup holders and the radio.

Now, while I wait for the headliner material, I dug into the driver side seat. I replaced the bottom cushion with the one from my old passenger seat. Just trying to prevent the metal rail from poking a hole in my new interior.

It has been a while since I last updated my progress. To button up the interior, I re-wrapped the headliner and dyed the rear parcel shelf.

BMW are nuts with their pillar prices. $200 plus dollars per pillar trim. The worst part is the mounting points dry out and beak. I just went ahead and put epoxy on the back side and glued it to the post.

Bam!

Interior is complete. Next up, polish up the exterior!

The exterior disassembly process now begins.

The main reason why I was pushed to buff out the car was the hood. I just no longer could stand seeing the faded hood. A lot of elbow grease later, I was being satisfied by the result that I started seeing.

After, getting the result that I wanted. I started to put everything back together with my new pieces. New rear window gasket, door seal gaskets, headlights and my favorite. I finally get to install my missing fog lights and all the plastic under tray splash shields.

The car is all buttoned up.

And the finished product...

Now onto other projects.

+ Reply to Thread