We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 1991 E30 BMW 325i The Ultimate Daily Driving Machine project

Track Junkie

Finally felt like I accomplished something.

Came in early on Saturday and started to assembly the coilovers since the tubes were shortened a week ago. I requested the tubes to be shortened 1.5" and am happy with the outcome. The picture of the E30 below is of it sitting on coilovers completely spun up, the control arms are perfectly parallel to the floor. I doubt I will want to go any lower and I am happy to have the complete strut travel since most people drive around with coils spun down where the strut travel is destroyed.

Next I connected the E36 M3 ECU I received from TRM Tuning and finished off the automatic to manual transmission wiring. I did some final work around the engine, filled all the fluids and gave it a shot at first start.. I failed.. After scratching my head why the engine is misfiring so bad, I found out that I didn't plug in any injectors.. Well, injectors plugged in, codes cleared and engine purrs. Really happy that it finally runs but now back to work to complete the project by mid-March, still a lot of work to do.

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Still battling the flu but had to do some work. Installed the rear coils, car is sitting with front and rear coilovers spun up to highest ride height, I think I will keep them there. Also started working on the a/c system on the inside of the car. Deciding if I should flush the evaporator or just change it since it is very hard to flush it.(almost impossible)

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Another slow weekend. Thought I would have the a/c, power steering and coolant system buttoned up but my new condenser decided I should finish the a/c system later, after my new condenser shows up, a $100 mistake. I connected the metal E30 a/c line to the aluminum condenser 3 days ago and didn't tighten it to much since I knew it would need to be taken off again, well, it decided not to come off.

For a long time I knew that the intake manifold was to close to the booster, I decided to use a single shim of about 2mm to raise up the driver side of the engine. I tried revving and shaking the engine but it doesn't come close to the booster now. I also used the a/c flush kit I bought and cleaned out all the a/c lines and pulled the carpet to wash it. Finally, I installed the differential, driveshaft and driveshaft trim. This is not the final assembly since my new differential didn't show up yet but this is so the guy building my exhaust can do his job. I should get new axles on Tuesday and hopefully drop off the car to get the exhaust done mid-week. I also ordered new wheels, tires and brake refresh kit.

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

1991 E30 BMW 325i The Ultimate Daily Driving Machine project

I don't get much time after work to work on the E30, only somedays and mostly less than an hour. The guy who was supposed to be building my exhaust had a couple of things come up so I am now waiting another week to have the exhaust done. While I am waited I didn't a few small things.

- Driveshaft installed
    - New guibo installed
    - Old differential installed
    - Wired in the reverse switch, used a pigtail from a MK4 VW Jetta so now the reverse switch plug clips in like factory into the E36 transmission.
    - Drew and cut out a bunch of K&N air filters to see which would fit, found the one that would fit and ordered it.
    - Made the brake fluid level sensor work on my aftermarket remote mounted reservoir.
    - Drilled holes and did the final install on the strut bar.
    - Found the 12v wire on the a/c switch, going to wire it into pin 64 (or 65) on the E36 M3 ecu so the ecu bumps up the revs when a/c is turned on. Will test it before soldering it in.

Build thread enforcer

no updates after nearly 2 weeks?!?!?

+ Reply to Thread