We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: more rotary fun....

Track Junkie

Wow! Engine looks fantastic. That header looks like it means business! I got to stop by sometime to see this in person.

Build thread enforcer

i reinstalled my rear subframe tonight with my 4.30 diff and new bushings.... I need to install axles and hubs tomorrow and i'll take pics and post them!

i have an update! but i need to upload some pictures... so hopefully i'll get around to doing all that tomorrow and posting for everyone to enjoy and give me the "about time" replies

nope, won't edit the last post... hahaha... just make a new one!

so, this past weekend I was able to get the engine test fit again with the modified subframe, depowered steering rack, stock 20B oil pan (with banzai racing oil ban brace), exhaust, trans, and intake setup.

now everything clears a stock hood... without the fancy air box... so i'm running open trumpets and need to figure out filters for them. At this time, the car is stilling with a full drive train except for drive shaft and powerplant frame.

one thing to note are that the header barely touches the subframe so when i pull the engine off and before the car is sent off to get the bay painted, I'll need to do a little massaging of this area. need to just notch it to clear more.

otherwise, i'm happy with the clearance the steering rack has below the engine... and if i wanted about another 1/5'' of clearance from the hood, I could get some 2.4'' tall engine mounts (instead of the 2.6'' I have now) And dropping the engine lower would definitely require me notching for the header on the subframe. I'm also having to look at other options if i want to run a front strut tower bar, the one that came with the car doesn't clear the trumpets.

as before, next steps:
    • engine bay painted
    • header coated
    • massage/notch subframe for header

The oil pan clears the de-powered steering rack:

Header touches the subframe... massaging needed

Transmission brace fits now

Trumpets and fuel rail clear the hood:

11 pics added to the album

Track Junkie

About time.

But really, good work!

Build thread enforcer

no pictures... but an update

over the past few days, i dropped the engine back out after the test fit. Decided to massage the subframe a little more to give more space for the header. Last night I reinstalled the subframe, connected steering linkage, and bolted on the front suspension. All this is for prep for getting the engine bay painted that hopefully can be planned in January after the holiday season. I hope to fix a riv-nut in the rear of the car and secure the diff for it to go to paint. I also will be cleaning out all the little bits in the cabin... since I've been using the car as a little storage of other parts for it =]

Title is sent off to come back in my name... now I have no hesitation in spending more money on the chassis itself knowing I can get it tagged when the time finally comes.

I've also revised some posts to have more pictures... project has been delayed due to lack of funds, I've been paying my dad back a loan he gave me back in August, I should have that finished off in about 3 months. But the projecting isn't on hold until then, this week I'll talk to a body shop about engine bay.

Along with painting it to match the future exterior color, I also want to replace the front supports that were cut out for IC pipping. I have the remains of a front clip I plan to have the shop to use for parts.

Nice man! Can't wait to see it in one piece. It's gonna be gorgeous. What color did u decide to go with for the exterior?

Titanium grey metallic... it's also called "spirit r grey" from the last 1500 rx7s in '02... it's a Mazda color found on Rx8 and miatas

wna go fast and turn left Kevin A. Parra's Avatar

Updates!

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk
    BBBBBBBBBBWWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

decisions are in the process of being made... will update when i decide a few things

parts showed up yesterday. Header is back from getting coated and my top feed injector primary fuel rail.

Injectors are ordered and should be here next week. I hope to mount the engine back on subframe and prep for "final" install this coming week. Hope to lift drive train into the car within the next 2 weeks.

and I love when people don't know rotaries and price this as a 3-cylinder... so it was CHEAP!!!

few other pics

Track Junkie

Looking good! Can't wait to hear some rotary noises.

Build thread enforcer

yeah, me neither. I need to remove some of the ceramic coating on the end of the header pips and inside of the collector so the collector can slide on them again. The coating is thin, but the fit was extremely tight before it so it makes it nearly impossible now!

*** it annoys me that some pictures are rotated!! damn image formats...

OK, so time for some updates... after the last cars and coffee (Aug 20th) I decided it was time to make the big progress on the project. Checked and double checked everything and have convinced myself to try to get the car running by Oct 7.

As for the headers, the collected slid on as it did before, so I didn't have to remove any of the coating... so now the pictures of the progress and then next steps and comments at the end.

In the parts collecting, got another '94/'95 rear subframe

Other parts collected and stashed until I decided to make this happen

Here was me getting ready with the 20B stuff - playing with getting the drivetrain oriented how it would line up in the car

Red car went in, by the end of the weekend the Ford 8.8 was out of the car, by Monday the trans was out and I believe it was thursday we pulled the v8.
    rebuilt stock FD diff with low mileage torsen unit and 4.3 gear compared to the 8.8 with 4.1 gear

T56 and 8.8

Empty v8 subframe

Out with the old... end of one chapter...

Cleaned up the fancy quick steer rack..

Mounting engine and header onto subframe to be lifted into the car

had to pull off the header to put the trans on... and the fancy new FFE primary fuel rail...

and within 4 days, car was no longer engineless

test fit of radiator and fans...

and since too many pics in first attempt... we have to make 2 replies!

and after a long evening my helper was tired...

Sakebomb Garage 25-row dual oil coolers installed

So now the problem areas... need to modify the lower outlet of the radiator - will be rerouting it along the bottom so i can mount my electric water pump as well

Oil thermostat hits V-belt with the current alternator bracket, I have another on the way that will lift the alternator at least an 1" and should clear everything so I can make a mounting bracket for the oil thermo...

Next was the coil brackets:

little close so I flipped one and now have clearance for boots

Now test fit of intake with coils

New injectors properly seated in secondary ports now...

And other few little things...
    high torque started using an rx8 starter, just swapped the FD front housing onto the rx8 working bits of the starter. Clutch hydraulics are swapped back to stock units and I'm waiting on a new strut tower bar that is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I have to get some more fittings for fuel lines, create the lines for block to radiator to water pump... and wire it up.... oh, an get it realigned...

wna go fast and turn left Kevin A. Parra's Avatar

Wtf tray?! What happened to the harlequin rx7?

BBBBBBBBBBWWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Track Junkie

Finally an update! Can't wait to hear it running.

Build thread enforcer

you mean the "bastard child"? i've fed it enough poke-candy and it's evolving!

Boom double post.
    Last edited by Ryans323i; 09-21-2016 at 10:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin A. Parra View Post
    Wtf tray?! What happened to the harlequin rx7?

+1. Reviewing this build thread, I got excited because new car and #becausetrumpets, but now the RainbowXpress-7 AND the v8 are gone. What is happening!?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

hahaha... much decisions about time to get rainbow car up to where I would want it to be, cost involved in that car as well... and remembering the original plan with the 20B build... the rainbow is still sitting in the garage waiting to finalize discussion with a possible new owner... and the v8, well, it may be ending up in another death trap in a few months =]

+ Reply to Thread