We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: more rotary fun....

more rotary fun....

So I'm going to see how this goes... I'm not typically one for a build thread. That is mainly because I forget to post updates as they happen and/or forget to take pics to show progress... not to mention delays in projects that I know annoy people trying to follow along with a build thread... the delays end up annoying me too and i'm the one doing my projects!!!

But, I'm going to see how this works out for me this time... hopefully this will help me keep moving forward on the project.

So... at Deals Gap Rotary Rally 2013 (DGRR) I had the crazy idea that I would do a 20B! I already have a v8 FD... I've had it for years and I'm known for having it... I've also had a rotary FD and a handful of rotary FCs... so my original idea was to do a 20B project over the next year, keeping it as quiet as i could and then just show up with it at DGRR 2014... well, that plan didn't work out... and the other deadlines i tried to set for myself didn't work out either... so yeah, glad i didn't start a build thread back then...

Anyway... I didn't just buy a 20B and then it sit... since I got it, I slowly started collecting parts, thinking about the project, collecting more parts... changed my mind about which car would get the engine, etc...

So the idea:
    - NA 20B with triple throttle bodies in an FD

Parts list:
    - A Series 20B
    - S5 NA Rotors (balanced by Mandeville)
    - Street port
    - triple throttle body intake w/ air box (purchased from other member)
    - Defined Autoworks header
    - Defined 20B mounts
    - Electric water pump (due to the intake I purchased from member in Australia)
    - Haltech PS2000
    - PXL Wide band
    - Rebuild by Liberty FD transmission
    - 4.3 gear final drive LSD
    - 6x LSx coils
    - Sakebomb 25 row dual oil coolers
    - aluminum radiator

I picked up the 20B through AllRotor93, sourced the NA rotor from an old s5 engine of mine and 1 from RotaryResurrection... Intake from Alister... Header from Justin (in Canada)...

A local builder helped me tear down the 20B several months back and confirmed that all parts were in good/great condition and it looked like a fairly low mileage engine.

Now... after several months of dragging my feet and letting other things get in the way, I'm hoping to hear back from the builder about meeting up with him within the next few days to reassemble my engine, Saturday I go and look at a roller...

And I know people like pictures... so here is the photo dump: Photo Dump!

wna go fast and turn left Kevin A. Parra's Avatar

Awesome Tray Congrats! If you need help working on it you know where to find me!
    BBBBBBBBBBWWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Track Junkie

Yes!

I got on someones case enough that they decided to get a build thread! Can't wait for updates!

I will text you in a week demanding updates if I don't see any posted..

Build thread enforcer

Awesome sauce! I wanna hear this run in person sooooo bad!
    95 GSX - Needs Everything...
    Quote Originally Posted by NWHTanK View Post
    Yeah right... What is cod? I dont do fishing games.

went today and checked out first hand a roller a friend of mine has... she's a little rough in some spots but right in the price range and has the bits i need... he has a few little things he would like to finish up on it before I bring her home... so now the car is found... and i'll post pics once I bring her home.

So your keeping the red fd as an lt1 then?

yes, LT-1 is staying in the red one and is in the process of getting the transmission fixed and returning to the road... hopefully it will be back to me soon...

tomorrow at noon I go to the builder's to put the engine back together... hopefully i'll remember to snap a few pics... if not, then you will get pics of the assembled engine

Track Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by lt1_fd3s View Post
    tomorrow at noon I go to the builder's to put the engine back together... hopefully i'll remember to snap a few pics... if not, then you will get pics of the assembled engine
    Pictures or it never happened.

Build thread enforcer

UPDATE!!! Got the engine put back together today with the help of the local builder...

now the next things on the to-do list:
    • get the roller here to the house
    • get the header ceramic coated
    • mate the trans to the engine

here is a teaser from today... I only ended up taking 5 pics total... if you've seen one engine going together, you've seen them all...

so, i picked up the car this weekend from a good friend, Jim in Cleveland TN... and threw some body parts on it to test fit. looks like I need to play with the front support a little, might be bent down a little bit... not completely sure. The roller does need some body work and repair on the rear quarter panel... so just have to talk to the body guy when the time comes...

I also was able to bolt on my side-mount alt bracket. hopefully get the engine dressed up a little more this week when some I have some block-off plates and few gaskets show up.

Main goals for me right now are to finish up dressing the engine, get my header ceramic coated, depower the steering rack, and hopefully having the drive train set in the car within the month. I hope for good weather this week so I can get the 4.30 diff installed and axles.

My RE-A AW7 wheels showed up, I will eventually need to get them rebarrelled so they are wider.

now for a little colorfulness...

All pics from today

I plan to get some more pics over the week as I continue to dress up the engine.

And just some notes for later... the oil port on the front cover of the 20B is an M16 (like the FC) NOT M18 like the FD front cover.

Track Junkie

Reminds me of Harlequin Edition Golfs!

Build thread enforcer

ok, need suggestions... what wheel color would look good with titanium grey metallic?

the color: (not my car)

Track Junkie

I am always a fan of silver wheels. I think black looks murdered out.

Build thread enforcer

I would do gold with this color tbh that it silver with a red lip
    Be careful what you ask for....
    ~~2015 Scion Fr-S~~

Silver.

Track Junkie

Ugh. When are we going to see this?

Build thread enforcer

when i get some motor mounts and can move forward on the project... i also need install a rivnut to fix a mounting point on the underside of the car for my diff brace

just a small update... I did a little test fitting of the engine + trans with the mounts and oil pan...
    • Mounts: Defined Auto brackets + 2.6" Xcessive Poly lower mounts
    • Xcessive 20B oil pan kit
    I'm not comfortable with the angle of the engine + trans and the oil pan rests on the steering rack. The back of the trans is about 1'' or more lower than stock (estimate is based on trying to mount the Banzai Trans brace). Also, with the height of the engine, my front strut bar doesn't clear my #1 trumpet, but the trumpet does clear under the hood about the thickness of my index finger. So now i'm considering my options to allow me to tilt the engine more, lowering the front while raising the back of the trans... yes, i'm toying with the idea of a dry sump system...

I've since pulled it all back out and stripped down the bay as much as I can in prep for getting it painted.

5 pics added to the album

Track Junkie

Dry sump oil system.. That is like a wet dream. You going to run open trumpet?

Build thread enforcer

dry sump setup would be about $4500... not sure i'm ready to bite that bullet just yet... but i might eventually. I was looking today and discussing with my brother other options using the bits I already have and what modifications would be needed.

If i can't drop the engine down enough to fit the box back on with the strut bar, then yes, i'll run open trumpets, but i really hope i can run the air box with filter... hopefully will know soon enough, i plan to drop the engine back in tomorrow and see where exactly the oil pan is hitting so i get an idea of how much would need to be changed.

Cliff notes:
    New Super Pro bushings front and rear (ordered from J-Auto, who is a GREAT guy to buy from!!!)
    New OEM Pillow balls (also ordered from Juan at J-Auto)
    J-Auto Trailing arms and toe links
    Suspension back on the car with the 4.3 diff installed as well... (hopefully by the end of the weekend)

well, after some delays and life happening...

i didn't originally plan to do this in the build but after checking out the suspension and swapping the '94/'95 subframe that was on my shell into my other FD, I ended up deciding to do new bushings all around, including the pillow balls.

The diff already had super pro bushings, which i only realized after i had ordered my first set from J-Auto (1st set was for my v8 fd). So about 2 wks after that order, I ordered another set of super pro's from Juan, along with his new rear trailing arms and toe links. And from my misreading his website the first time I ordered parts, I ended up with a set of OEM pillow balls w/ new dust covers.

Today I got all the old bushings pressed out and tomorrow I plan to install all the new ones and see about getting the suspension back on the car along with the 4.3 diff installed.

With this out of the way, i can motivate myself to clean and paint my depowered steering rack, re-assemble it and get back to test fitting the engine again, this time with the OEM oil pan.

Side note: I have a Xcessive 20B oil pan on the car right now but with the defined auto motor mounts, the front "hump" of the oil pan rests on the steering rack, raising the front of the engine and made it impossible to get the back of the transmission high enough to bolt in my banzai transmission mount as well as greatly effected the angle of the driveshaft.

Moar pics!?!

Sent from my HS_10DTB12A using Tapatalk

Track Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin A. Parra View Post
    Moar pics!?!

Sent from my HS_10DTB12A using Tapatalk
    x2 👍

Build thread enforcer

Ok, just a few teaser pics. Last week we mocked up the engine on the subframe so we could cut it out for the oil pan. Also, new roommates have been doing a hell of a job to clean up the garage and hopefully the car will move inside before too much longer. Other roommate has agreed to be a picture taker moving forward so hopefully more visuals to come as well.

Last night the subframe was modified with some cutting and welding to clear the 20B oil pan. Plan for this week is to primer and paint the subframe, another test fit of the drivetrain in the car, and install the rear suspension to stay. Once test fit is complete, I will be planning to get the car to paint for the engine bay before installing the engine to stay. I also need to get the header coated and finalize my plan for my exhaust.

Subframe is trimmed but not finalized, you can see where the stock oil drain lines up now...

Project Pictures

+ Reply to Thread