We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: The other guy! 2013 mazdaspeed 3 build.

The other guy! 2013 mazdaspeed 3 build.

Well guess I will give this a shot. I know a few of you guys. For the ones I don't know my name is Chad. I own the other black speed 3. That's why I'm calling this thread the other guy. Well on to the build.

I have had the car about a year and a half. For the folks that don't know a lot about the car it comes from the factory with a 6 speed manual transmission and has a 2.3 liter direct injection motor. It has 265hp at the crank from the factory Wich transfers to around 217hp at the wheel on a mustang Dyno. It is only a fwd car aka wrong wheel drive but still a super fun relatively inexpensive car to own.

Now for some good stuff. I started off on the first configuration with a corksport short ram air intake, bigger top mount inner cooler, test pipe, auto tech high pressure fuel pump internals, and a Cobb access port. That set up was awesome. The stock turbo spools pretty fast and makes its power in the mid rpm range. My peak boost on that set up was 22psi that tapered down to 17psi at the top of the rpm band. the down side to the stock turbo which is a Hitachi k04 is that the seals are complete junk. I blew the first one at 40k miles. The second one was smoking when it was replaced but more on that later. As for the power on that set up I was running 330hp at the wheel and about 360tq at the wheel. 1st and 2nd gears were pretty pointless as far as traction goes but still just a fun car to drive. I drove the car for about a year on that setup. Averaged 30 mpg on the highway and about 25 to 27 mpg in town.

Now for the current set up. As most of you know, another person in the Asheville area had a pretty quick speed3. After his car had some mishaps he decided to stock his back out and me and another speed in town bought the majority of the fun stuff. I just have finished this part of the build so I don't know the power or tourq as of yet. Plus I'm still in the process of getting my tune. My current set up is a 3" short ram air intake, ultimate racing front mount inner cooler, 3.5 bar map sensor, ultimate racing turbo back exhaust, Ngk one step colder plugs, James Baron racing oil catch can, and the turbo is a gtx3067r. I'm shooting for 25 psi and around 400 to 430hp on e85 mix.

I do have some ideas as to where I want to go with the suspension but I'm going to have to wait a bit on that stuff. I hope you guys enjoy the read and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I hope to see you folks at some of the meets and cruises.

WNCRiDES Rotarian

I've seent you around! Nice to see some more build threads is there a way to possibly convert it to a rwd car? Just out of curiosity

Track Junkie

Didn't I meet you at the dragon? Can't wait to see the car around. This is going to be a beast!!

Build thread enforcer

There is a way to convert it to a awd using a speed6 set up or I have heard a few folks over seas using a Volvo rear and transfer case.

Yes pav you did catch me at the dragon. You gave the little guy a ride in the BMW.

wna go fast and turn left Kevin A. Parra's Avatar

Welcome! I'm glad to see more cars posting build threads.
    BBBBBBBBBBWWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I've been in the group a little over a year though. me and the woman go to the sonic meets a good bit.

That explains i. I haven't been to a meet in at least a year.

You should come out more. It's pretty fun most of the time. Well for the most part anyway.

Not my thing anymore to be honest. I've been taking a sebaticle from the car scene.. Maybe next year i'll poke my head out of the ground.

It's understandable

So now that I'm in the tuning stage of the build the car is getting fun to drive again. The base map I got from the tuner was very much a base map. No maf's were set and very low boost compared to the 22psi I was accustomed to. I got the 1st revision after doing some crazy data logs. Now the car is coming to life. It's at 18psi now and creeps to 19 in 5th and 6th gears. I am noticing so differences in the car as far as where it trys to spin the tires. On the stock turbo it would smoke the tires at a pretty low rpm. With the bigger turbo it's trying to spin at around 4k rpms. Makes the car pretty fun. It's like lag.. lag... lag.. ooh shit hang on. It is a fwd car so the torque steer is coming back into play. Some people don't like it. I myself don't mind it a whole lot. Makes the car fun to drive at times. I will be at the tft function this weekend. I'm looking forward to putting it through a few twisties again.

Forgot I caught the woman helping me on the install.

Just a few more I forgot to post when I started the thread.

Track Junkie

Did you build the bottom end or is this running on stock internals?

Can't wait to see it blow the doors off of my car.

Build thread enforcer

It's all still stock internals for now. That's why I'm staying around the 25 psi mark on the turbo. Should still be pretty safe.

In the process of learning your car and motor while tuning strange things happen. I got a case of the zoom zoom boom tonight. I now have the vent to air mod in my block. Time to decide to go super big or find a new build. Pics to come once I dig into it a lil more.

Sad sad night
    Attached Images

Track Junkie

Damn. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Build thread enforcer

I'm sorry honey. :-( but I love you holebunches 💜

It happens pav. They either blow or go. Not much in between when playing with cars.

The 5000 dollar hose.

Just some quick updates. Some nc/SC mazda folks helped me out. I went and picked this guy up for a engine build since my block has a window in it now.

Track Junkie

Nice! So no giving up? Going bigger and building?

Build thread enforcer

+ Reply to Thread