We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul's Form Follows Function Journal - E46 BMW M3

Track Junkie

Salt is on the roads. Looks like I will be putting the car away until the roads clear. On the other hand, I am bring my other project back home. It has been a year since I worked on it.

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Received my Supersprint headers. Going cat less on the M3.

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Finally got around to installing the headers, changing the oil and coding my ecu with the Evolve R software. Going catless and software really opened up the car. Cant wait to take it for a mountain ride next weekend.

Build thread enforcer

Excellent mod list. Curious to hear the difference with the new headers.

Track Junkie

The car is raspy which I actually like. Sounds like an angry chain saw. The best part is that there isn't much drone inside. I will try get a sound clip soon.

Build thread enforcer

That's good to hear about the drone.

Track Junkie

Since the purchase of a E36 track prepped M3 failed, I decided to run my E46 M3 for this season. I ordered 275/35/18 tire square setup. I run 275/35/18 in the rear right now, decided to test them on the front to see how it would work. I am running 2 degrees of camber right now. I will need to go up to 3 to 3.5 degrees of camber to tuck the tires in. Next track day is scheduled for May 18th.

Build thread enforcer

Just curious if you're doing your own adjustments or if you have a tire guy. My tire guy tracks and auto-xs his e36 m3. He could probably be really helpful. Shane @ Black Mountain Tire, 828-664-1300.

Not saying you don't know anything, just a suggestion if you're looking for outside input.

Best of luck at your next track event. We're going to need to see video!

Track Junkie

I have an alignment guy. I just swapped rear wheel to the front just for reference before I ordered the 275/35/18 square setup. Because of the offset, the wheel pokes. I will be running about 3.5 negative camber which is optimal for track. With my current 2.5 negative camber, my tires are getting destroyed on the outer edge from the corners. I will be running 4 rear M3 rims on my car for know. Should get some true track wheels this summer. Waiting of Apex to start a group buy on their new EC-7.

Build thread enforcer

I saw those wheels on 'fanatics. Really good looking wheels, and they're pretty neat with the different profiles for that same size rim. The anthracite is so hot too, but I like dark wheels so...

Track Junkie

The 275/35/18 square setup arrived today. Got the tires installed and camber adjusted. Also installed bimmerworld stud kit. Ready for my next track day.

Build thread enforcer

I'm jealous! Best wishes.

Track Junkie

From my last track day.

Build thread enforcer

The video is private

Track Junkie

Fixed it. Thanks for letting me know.

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Since I boiled my Motul 5.1 brake fluid during my last track day, I decided to work on my brakes to prevent that. Bought a new tool so I can flush my brakes without someone else helping me. Decided to use ATE Super Blue brake fluid since it has a higher boil temperature. Change the front rotors as my last ones were out of spec. Also, built myself some cheap ramps so I can jack up my car easier.

Build thread enforcer

Nice video. Really enjoyed that. Saw the back end get a little squirrelly on you a couple time. Great handling though.

Power bleeder is nice. Heard a lot of good things about it!

Like your wheel studs btw. Do you like those whole lot better?

Track Junkie

Thanks, to bad i didn't have the camera on when I almost stuffed the car into the barrier in turn 3. The studs are a life changer. No more cussing while trying to put on the wheels.

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Come back from VIR yesterday. Best lap at 2:21. VIR is just mind blowing, nothing to come to CMP. Feels good passing Porsche 997 Turbos and Corvettes. Had a nice battle with a Mustang Boss 302 but to bad my GoPro wasn't on.

Build thread enforcer

Great video. I've heard so many good things about VIR. Hopefully I'll be headed up there in Sept, but just as a spectator.

Are the Corvettes holding back or is the really M3 that much faster? I don't know a lot about corvettes, but I always just thought they were fast as shit.

rawr

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans323i View Post
    Great video. I've heard so many good things about VIR. Hopefully I'll be headed up there in Sept, but just as a spectator.

Are the Corvettes holding back or is the really M3 that much faster? I don't know a lot about corvettes, but I always just thought they were fast as shit.
    they were pointing him by, the vettes are probably faster in a straight line but not able to keep pace in the corners. they were letting him by so they didnt hold him up overall.

and i need a shift boot made please! text me 8287772919 i have the boot with bottom ring and the top piece that positions in on the shifter i just need it redone because of the huge tear in the boot.

Track Junkie

The Corvettes are fast as shit. They have to let off the gas or sometimes even tap the brakes so I can pass them. They had a couple of Z06s and Porsche Turbos there that I had to pass. They just walk away from me(in a straight) as if I am standing still.

BTW, the September event, is that the ALMS race by any chance? I am thinking about going to watch it too.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    they were pointing him by, the vettes are probably faster in a straight line but not able to keep pace in the corners. they were letting him by so they didnt hold him up overall.
    Its frustrating when you get behind a higher horsepower car that slows you down in the corners but steams away in the corners. I had a cool instructor that told to me to sit inches off of their ass just to get a better run at them off of corners and force the pass. Gets the blood pumping. lol

Build thread enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post

and i need a shift boot made please! text me 8287772919 i have the boot with bottom ring and the top piece that positions in on the shifter i just need it redone because of the huge tear in the boot.
    Have you picked out your fabric? I'll shoot you a text soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
    The Corvettes are fast as shit. They have to let off the gas or sometimes even tap the brakes so I can pass them. They had a couple of Z06s and Porsche Turbos there that I had to pass. They just walk away from me(in a straight) as if I am standing still.

BTW, the September event, is that the ALMS race by any chance? I am thinking about going to watch it too.

Its frustrating when you get behind a higher horsepower car that slows you down in the corners but steams away in the corners. I had a cool instructor that told to me to sit inches off of their ass just to get a better run at them off of corners and force the pass. Gets the blood pumping. lol
    ALMS it is! 4 day pass is only $90/person, but I haven't seen anything about pit passes yet. And I'd definitely want to get down and check out the cars and the crews.

rawr

Have you picked out your fabric? I'll shoot you a text soon.
    just whatever matches the stock vinyl but with dark purple stitching

I take it the vettes are slow because of the lack of driver experience? Kinda like when the miatas eat up the field when the rest of the driver's aren't up to par? We should hang some time btw- I live in building 9, and Zeff is in building 14 I think.

+ Reply to Thread