We are a local forum-based car club, serving Asheville and the surrounding areas, and welcome all types of car, truck, or bike enthusiasts!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16
1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul's Form Follows Function Journal - E46 BMW M3

Track Junkie

Paul's Form Follows Function Journal - E46 BMW M3

Third M3 build continues on page 13.

Picked up this M3 from Houston, TX. It is a 2002 model with SMG transmission, manual seats and no sunroof option. The SMG transmission should be changed soon.

Second M3 build continues towards the bottom of page 3.

Thanks to the guys who put me in contact with Steve from StampCo. While he wasn't able to do the work because of his schedule, he did put me in contact with Joel with Barber Raceworks in Greenville. Joel's shop is a mecca for E30 Spec race cars and Porsche 944s.
    As some people know, I made a mistake of selling my M3 to my brother in July. 6 months later I asked him to buy it back, no luck. So I started my search for the next M3. After looking around, I didn't find anything within the price range with the mods that I had. A friend of mine showed me a M3 on an auto auction. It was a 2006 M3 Competition Package. I decided to place a bid on it and I won. The damage to the car was rear end collision. While I know that most people look down on salvage vehicle, I will try show you guys how someone can fix a salvage vehicle properly.

Since the M3 was wrecked in the rear, I bought a brand new floor pan. For anyone that knows E46 M3s, they have a problem with torn rear floor pans. I decided to make this floor pan bullet proof. I am been buying various parts for the M3 over the last couple of months. The floor pan got done yesterday and I also received my Apex ARC-8 18x9.5" ET22 wheels yesterday. Got a fantastic deal on a group guy. The original Competition wheels were sold/ traded to my brother. He was not happy with the AST suspension so I traded the wheels plus cash for suspension.

First build - 2002 BMW M3, sold
    Bought my car in September of 2010. Its a 2002 M3 Carbon Black with 28,300 miles. Car was bought from a middle aged gentlemen that thought that the "Sport" button added power and pushing the "DSC" button would destroy the car. All work on the car was down by a dealership.

Last edited by pawa_k2001; 02-17-2015 at 13:20.

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Just to be on the safe side, I did the rear subframe reinforcement.

Bought new tires, all new bushings(subframe, FCAB, RTAB), Turner RTAB limiters, ZCP brakes, stainless steel lines, Vorshlag camber plates and KW V2 coilovers.

Last edited by pawa_k2001; 09-23-2011 at 18:13.

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

I did have 2 problems. One being that the front tires lightly rub the springs. I will get 5mm spacers to fix that.

Second is the one that I am worried about. The nut that bolts the suspension from the top doesnt bolt all the way down. The picture shows the nut. It is tightened completely.

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

From my run at Tail of the Dragon. Next upgrade includes; new suspension, square setup, sway bars. The KW V2 coil overs are just to soft for my style of driving. On hard banked corners my car bottoms out and already ate through the top of my fender liner.

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

My new suspension came in today. Ordered them Wednesday and received them today, thanks Vorshlag! To bad my car is at the detailer. Should have everything installed and ready for the dragon(tail of the dragon) by next weekend. Its a AST 4100 GTS kit with 550lbs front and 650lbs rear springs.

Build thread enforcer

Angst vor der Berggeist hondamnit's Avatar

dude holy shit, next time your getting into something that deep hit me up, i would love to come hang out... lend a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by pezho405 View Post
    Zeke you were in my dream last night
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    may your ball sack be revoked many more times sir!

Auditistic deutschbag! QuattroKid's Avatar

Nice M3! Bet it handles like a dream and grips like a beast.

Rubberband man

Wow, the car is coming along nicely! I love seeing start to finish projects, as well as those involving parts that do and don't work like your suspension. Nice work man! Maybe when I finally decide to bring the 7 or 3 out I could get up with you for a drive.

Klassnaya Tachka.

I'm glad to see this thread back up. I lack the dedication to jump right into projects like this too much of the time. Very nice build sir.

Track Junkie

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I got my lazy a$$ up today to finish the suspension. The 550 front and 650 pound rear springs are surprisingly not harsh. The ride is firm but comfortable. Also, popped out the fender covers to let in cool air to cool the brakes.

Last edited by pawa_k2001; 11-07-2011 at 10:30.

Build thread enforcer

Please dont try to "slam" it.

and you said you were getting it detailed in a couple posts above, where at?

Track Junkie

Please dont try to "slam" it.

and you said you were getting it detailed in a couple posts above, where at?
    The M3 is lowered to 13.5" front and 13" rear. This is recommended for M3s that are used at the track. The measurement is measured from the center of the axle nut to the fender arch. Also, the detailing was done by a guy a know from a VW forum. He does the work from home but does an awesome job.

Thanks,
    Paul

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Picked up a Jaffster shifter.

Build thread enforcer

rawr

good ole dildo shifter, how do you like the quality and finish? does the set screw hold it in place properly?

where did you get it for reference, im assuming a bmw forum?

Track Junkie

I got it from bimmerworld.com

The shifter is 3 to 4 inches taller which puts it closer to the steering wheel for easier shifting.

Thanks,
    Paul

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Plan was not to spend anymore money on the car until next year but... black friday happened. Supersprint is offering 45% off of the V1 headers and Evolve R is offer 20% off of the software. So I ordered both. Will be running cat less once the headers arrive.

Also some other pieces showed up, BMW bentley and front brake caliper stiffeners.

Build thread enforcer

Angst vor der Berggeist hondamnit's Avatar

can i photocopy a few pages out of that manual ? lol... i did a huge look over of our E46 today as well as install front control arm rear bushings. will your stock M3 stuff work on my car ? if so is it forsale ?

Zeke you were in my dream last night
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    may your ball sack be revoked many more times sir!

Track Junkie

Got a package from bimmerworld today. Got to love Black Friday. Free shirt and a $20 gift card. Also the intake elbow that I ordered.

Thanks,
    Paul

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

The car handles fantastic with the 245-275 setup. It understeers if you plow it but steps out the tail if gunned. The car performed flawlessly when driven right. I plowed it once when I tried to brake too late and steer. :shifty: Also lost it once and spun coming out of a corner, too much throttle and steering angle. Towards the end of the day I put together a good lap at 1:28.4.

I also got to ride with Mike Renner on BMW E90 M3 taxi. It just showed me how far I am from being able to control my car like a professional. Mike was lapping at 1:28 the whole day with a couple of dips to 1:27.

Overall I am very satisfied with the M3. Its my first time on the track with this car. I was able to learn a lot and improve my times from 1:35 to 1:28. I do suck at drifting on a wet skid pad though! :lolhit: Spun every time I tried to hold a drift.

Thanks,
    Paul

Build thread enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by hondamnit View Post
    can i photocopy a few pages out of that manual ? lol... i did a huge look over of our E46 today as well as install front control arm rear bushings. will your stock M3 stuff work on my car ? if so is it forsale ?
    Just google it. I found a digital copy of the Bentley for my e36.

My Lord sir. My e36 would make mad BMW love to your car if they ever met in person.

Shift_Photography HKYStormFront's Avatar

nice build! what's next?

Track Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by ws6owner View Post
    My Lord sir. My e36 would make mad BMW love to your car if they ever met in person.
    lol. thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by HKYStormFront View Post
    nice build! what's next?
    Most like I will be looking to get a square setup on my car. 18x9.5" et 22 wheels and 275 series tires all around. Also want to pick up a set of bbxracing hubstands.

Thanks,
    Paul

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Installed front brake stiffer kit. Really helps with the brake feel. The only think I need to change are the pads. They are much to soft and don't have the bite I am looking for.

Thanks,
    Paul

Build thread enforcer

Track Junkie

Salt is on the roads. Looks like I will be putting the car away until the roads clear. On the other hand, I am bring my other project back home. It has been a year since I worked on it.

Build thread enforcer

+ Reply to Thread